Red Green Macgyver
Friday, September 05, 2008 at 11:06 pm
The driver's seat of our car has been extremely uncomfortable for almost a year. The foam padding started to deteriorate — leaving the driver sitting against metal frame on the left side (after a thin layer of fabric). It's sort of uncomfortable most of the time, but really HOT when it's summertime.
Today was the day for action. I went out there and spent a good 20 minutes just trying to get the seat cover removed. It was strapped down, wrapped around, and stuck to the frame with industrial-grade velcro. When I got it open, I saw a mess. The foam was split from bottom to top on the left side, and halfway down on the right. And since I already knew the foam was prone to ripping, trying to glue the foam to the frame would just end in a layer of foam ripped off the padding.
I've seen enough episodes of The Red Green Show and Macgyver to know just how to solve this one. I went inside, grabbed a roll of duct tape and went to work. The only way that foam was staying together is if it's wrapped completely around with duct tape, and that's what I did.
I'm sorry to say I didn't take any before and after pictures, because I was so excited to have somewhere comfortable to sit during my 22,000 mile per year habit. It worked great, and I drove around the block in comfort and style.
“If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy”
– Red Green